Tuesday 29 September 2009

Welcome!




Hello world. As of late I have had a lot of time on my hands. I have just moved to Northern Ireland in June to be married to the most wonderful man in the world. Of course I'm biased, but what do you expect when you're in love?


The visa I currently have doesn't allow me to work which leaves a lot of...time. Starshine (hubby) is a teacher but hasn't been able to find a full-time position since coming back from England in Jan. 2008. Thankfully he had a 9 month maternity cover last year, and just got another couple of months - hopefully more - at the same school. That's wonderful and I am so, so happy for him! Unfortunately for my end of things, that means many days alone. We still live with Starshine's wonderful parents, and I am so grateful. But, I need to occupy myself with more than a good cup of tea in the morning.

I want to use this blog to document my adventures in cooking, specifically baking. I. Love. Dessert. As my mother always says, 'Dessert' is simply 'Stressed' spelled backwards! I grew up in a very versatile kitchen...with my mom being Portuguese, many of her dishes are filled with spice and warmth. When it comes to her baking though, psh, she rocks! My dad cooks up a mean egg sandwich, and, when you ask him nicely, a PB&J. Starshine is a wonderful cook with a love for sauces. He tends to a sauce pot like it's his baby - carefully and lovingly with a bit of those Emeril Lagasse "BAM!" movements added in here and there when he doesn't realize I'm watching. My in-laws are traditional Irish meat and potatoes people, and I have loved eating those stick to your rib dishes! Lately though, it's cupcakes, bread, cookies, pastries, and pies that have called my name...I still have a lot to learn, but that's what I hope to use this for.

I would love any suggestions! Now...my next project.



No comments:

Post a Comment